GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE UPDATE
(January to December 2022)
On this page, we present our analysis of selected categories of gender-based violence.
- For the period January to December 2022, domestic violence reports increased 21% relative to the same period in 2021.
- Cases for which police made an arrest or placed the matter under investigation increased by 41%.
- During January to December 2022, almost 7 in 10 cases involved persons ages 18 to 45.
- The number of reports made for ‘future reference‘ increased 11%.
- The Belize Police Department recorded an increase in unlawful sexual intercourse in the major crimes category from 46 incidents to 60 incidents.
Number of Police-registered cases of gender-based violence in selected categories, as of 31 December 2022.
Change relative to previous year
Note: Not all domestic violence reports result in cases being lodged. There are several cases for which complainants decline to take court action.
MORE ON DOMESTIC VIOLENCE REPORTS
Official data courtesy the Belize Police Department, through the Joint Intelligence Coordinating Centre.