GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE UPDATE
(January to August 2022)
On this page, we present our analysis of selected categories of gender-based violence.
- For the period January to August 2022, domestic violence reports increased 18% relative to the same period in 2021.
- Cases for which police made an arrest or placed the matter under investigation increased by about one-third.
- 1 in 2 cases involved an act of domestic violence allegedly perpetrated against a female age 20 to 34.
- The number of reports made for ‘future reference‘ increased 10%.
- The Belize Police Department recorded an increase in sexual violence in the major crimes category from 43 incidents to 61 incidents.
Number of Police-registered cases of gender-based violence in selected categories, as of 31 August 2022.
Change relative to previous year
Note: Not all domestic violence reports result in cases being lodged. There are several cases for which complainants decline to take court action.
MORE ON DOMESTIC VIOLENCE REPORTS
Official data courtesy the Belize Police Department, through the Joint Intelligence Coordinating Centre.